Friday, May 16, 2014

Frugle (phrugle?) Photography

So, as promised there are some images. Are they the images that were expected? No, but it's been rainy and cold all week (which is really stupid because it was 85 degrees a week ago and this morning it snowed, WTF Mother Nature?).

However, I have not been without shooting. I did a favor for a friend and took some pre-prom pics, however, I really wanted to experiment with a gold reflector. I realized, though, that I don't own one.

And here's where that broke college student breaks free yet again to save the day. I thought about it, what is a reflector?

So I went to Michaels today and bought the following:


A hula hoop

                                                                  A gold poster board

                                                             Gold Mylar




First, place the hula hoop on top of the gold poster board (the opposite side is silver, so 2 in 1 booyeah). Make sure to cut around the edges to make the taping process easier.




 Tape the poster board to the hula hoop, I used duct tape, simply because it can't be a ghetto object without it. And, you know, it's reflective and stuff. Whatever, you never see it anyway. Don't judge me.
                                                       

Place the mylar between the taped hoop and the poster board. Tuck it under, than use clear tape to secure it into place.

Cut around the edges of the mylar, and make some gold confetti because you're done.



                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Voila!

 You're ready to use your reflector!


Here I am without the reflector


 And here I am with the reflector.

How much did this cost you may ask?
I bought everything at Michaels, including 2 hula hoops (they were on sale), one pack of gold mylar, and 2 poster boards. The poster boards were $2.99 each, the mylar $3.99, and each hula hoop was $2.99. I also pulled up on the Michaels website a weekly ad coupon that took 25% off my entire purchase which brought my total to a whopping $9.77.

And there you have it, the broke photographer's way of getting away with not spending too much money on equipment!

Until the weather is nicer,

blg

No comments:

Post a Comment