Sunday, June 1, 2014

Sunday musings

So, it's Sunday and I have a massive headache. I've laid in bed a good chunk of the day.

That's not what this post is about. Actually, I have been thinking a little bit more about some more experimenting I'd like to try. I was looking at a shoot I did in college. It was a studio shoot (and by studio I mean we did it at my martial arts school, isn't great owning your own business?) that I did and we used stage lighting (I didn't own any lighting equipment at the time), a fog machine, and black felt. It turned out to be pretty cool. Anyway, I really want to jump into that again because I feel that the fog machine if used properly with the lighting can generate a very dramatic affect that I'm partial to as an artist. Here is a snippet of what we did on that shoot





This was a timed exposure, we went 30 seconds in the position that is most clear, then experimented in different time increments as to what made the best image. I think we spent at least an hour shooting and reshooting this particular image. The end result ended up being 15 seconds, 10 second, then 5 seconds. We did not use fog for this one. This is probably my favorite (can I say that? Is that too conceited?).





This was an experiment with the white wrinkly backdrop. In retrospect, I probably would have had her in a bold colored shirt, in front of a solid white, super flat backdrop (it was college, and  it was
like midnight, don't judge me). Yes, this needs A LOT of work, and would be well worth the reshoot.








Dramatized side lighting, see, this is why I must come back to this idea. I enjoy the concept.









We had two stage lights clamped to the doors of the workout floor. The fog is pretty awesome when the light magnifies it like this.









Yes, I'm looking at older shoots. However, when you're in college working on a project, you really don't get enough time on just one project. While I was shooting this project for my digital photo class, I was also working on my senior thesis project, which was an entirely different shoot with a black and white film camera as well as print manipulations in the dark room. Plus the other classes I was taking at the time. I feel like I never really got a chance to expand on this particular idea and want to play around with it more. With District Championships, my cousin's wedding, a trip to Lake Geneva, plus summer camps coming up, I'm hoping to have this worked on within the next month. Oh yeah, plus all the usual "Hey I'm running a business" thing too, that may take up a good portion of my time.

Rambling over.






No comments:

Post a Comment